Thursday, October 1, 2026

the Bretton Woods of superintelligence




https://x.com/brivael/status/2105364100041585000?s=20


Translated from French
Keep this photo firmly in mind. In 50 years, it will be in the history books. David Sacks called it "the Bretton Woods of superintelligence." He's right. I sincerely believe we'll look back on this moment as the West's turning point. The day the United States decided to stop enduring the future, but to build it. And by building it, they will save the West. Let me tell you a little anecdote. In 2013, I returned to France after a year spent in Silicon Valley. I had just seen the early signs of what's happening today: The first robots that can stand upright. The first cars that drive themselves. Algorithms that are starting to learn. I was convinced we were living the beginning of something immense. So I said it. Everywhere. At dinners. At work. To friends. They laughed in my face. Literally. "Robots? We'll be dead before that." "Self-driving cars? Science fiction." "AI? A geek gadget." I was the weird guy, the resident nutcase, the one you listen to politely while waiting for him to calm down. 14 years later, I've never calmed down. It's the world that caught up to me. So this time, I'll be very clear. Here's what's going to happen. AI will reach AGI level in 12 to 24 months. We're already starting to touch it with the latest models like Opus 5.5. Concretely, every individual on Earth will have access to an unprecedented cognitive lever in human history. In their pocket: A doctor. A lawyer. An engineer. A researcher. A strategist. Not for an elite. For everyone. Then, robotics will kick in. What AI does for the mind, robots will do for the body. Physical, repetitive, grueling, dangerous work will be automated. The cost of producing things will collapse. And that's when a dizzying question will arise: where does the human fit into all this? Me, I have a tremendous amount of hope. I think we'll return to our true nature: Choose. Create. Marvel. Build beautiful experiences for one another. For millennia, the vast majority of humans spent their lives surviving. Work as a constraint is a historical parenthesis, not our destiny. Work to advance humanity will become optional. It will be seen as a high-level sport. An elite of volunteers, like athletes, who will choose to push the frontier. And that frontier, I'm willing to bet, will be in space. Why am I so sure of myself? Because all of human history proves us right. Technology is the only engine of sustainable abundance we've ever invented. Every time we've driven down the cost of energy, information, or intelligence, humanity has leaped forward: Agriculture. Steam. Electricity. The Internet. Every time, the doomsayers announced the end of the world. Every time, we've ended up living longer, richer, healthier lives. Because intelligence is the ultimate resource. A disease. A shortage. A crisis. These are problems we haven't been smart enough to solve yet. We're on the verge of making intelligence abundant and nearly free. Measure what that means. Because energy is life. A civilization with more energy cares for the sick better, feeds better, educates better. Nuclear. Solar. Fusion tomorrow.
We don't have a resource problem, we have an ambition problem. Because resources aren't fixed. A resource is matter multiplied by knowledge. Oil was a nuisance before we knew what to do with it. Sand became chips. The more we know, the more we have.
So I'm telling you. Don't listen to the pessimists. Don't listen to the degrowthers who want to teach you to live with less and feel shame for wanting more. Don't listen to those who tell you there aren't enough resources for everyone. Don't listen to those who repeat that the Earth is suffering, that humans are the problem, that progress is a sin. Don't listen to those who brandish the precautionary principle to never do anything. The real risk is stopping. Every year of delay on a technology means lives we could have saved and won't. Pessimism sounds smart. Optimism builds the world. And if there's one man who embodies that better than anyone, it's Elon Musk. Look at what he's doing. SpaceX, which has turned access to space—once a dream reserved for states—into an industrial product. Rockets that come back to land. Starship, preparing for multiplanetary civilization. Terafab, to produce at scale the chips that tomorrow's intelligence will need. Vertical integration pushed to the limit: master every brick, from the atom to the software, because that's the only way to go fast and depend on no one. And on AI, he's doing something fundamental: refusing to inject ideological biases into the models. An AI that will become the cognitive lever for eight billion humans must not think for them. It must seek the truth. Period. You can criticize him as much as you want. History will remember that while others commented on the decline, he built: Rockets. Cars. Robots. Chips. Intelligences. He doesn't talk about the future. He makes it. If there's one person to trust to make this revolution pro-human, it's him. His project has never changed: Extend consciousness. Make humanity greater. Freer. And take it farther. I sincerely hope all the other tech leaders will follow this path. Because it's a pro-human project. And that's what makes me deeply optimistic. Thank you, Elon. In 2012, they thought I was crazy. In 2026, I'm saying it again with even more conviction: the best is yet to come. And it's arriving much faster than you think.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

How banks make money

  Peter Girnus @gothburz I run consumer deposit pricing at JPMorgan Chase. Our standard savings account pays 0.01%. That's one one-hund...